the edge of an existensialist universe.

Friday, February 15, 2008

http://spider.noxis.net/pub/mp3/INXS%20-%20Switch/03%20Afterglow.mp3

Here I am
Lost in the light of the moon
that comes through my window
Bathed in blue
The walls of my memory divides
The thorns from the roses
It's you and the roses

Touch me and I will follow
In your afterglow
Heal me from all this sorrow
As I let you go
I will find my way when I see your eyes
Now I'm living
In your afterglow

Here I am
Lost in the ashes of time, but who wants tomorrow?
In between
The longing to hold you again
I'm caught in your shadow
I'm losing control
My mind drifts away
We only have today

Touch me and I will follow
In your afterglow
Heal me from all this sorrow
As I let you go
I will find my way
I will sacrifice
'Til the blinding day
When I see your eyes
Now I'm living
In your afterglow

When the faith has gone
As I let you go
As I let you go

Touch me and I will follow
In your afterglow
Heal me from all this sorrow
As I let you go
I will find my way
I will sacrifice
Now I'm living
In your afterglow

Bathed in blue
The walls of my memory divides
The thorns from the roses
It's you who is closest

INXS - Afterglow

At a glance, this song is just your typical rock/ pop song. It's soft, slow with very simple chord progression and lyrics. no vocal acrobatics that will make you win that trip to Simon Cowell's American Idol franchise.

But I like it, I couldn't stop listening to it these past few days.

It helps that the video featured one of my all time favorite models / actress - Estella Warren. There's just something about her face, something inherently - sad.

You know, the kind of face you just want to gently hold with both hands, look deeply into those eyes while telling everything is going to be all right.

It's not quite puppy dog eyes either. It's more like when you barely manage to hold back your tears.

I know. I know. Going on a tangent here.

Back to the topic, if you listened to the song you'll definitely feel a sense of loss, more precisely the loss of someone you cared deeply / loved. Which makes it a good fit for Valentine's day, well, to me anyway.

Isn't today, like any other holiday, is a reminder for us to remember what's really important? The people we love, we care about? To say the important things, things we always put off to a later day, only to find out it's too late when they're not with us anymore.

Don't be like that. Say it now. Take the hand of your loved ones and say how much you care. Say it with flowers, with a kiss, with a song, whatever.

Just say it.

"We only have today."

Don't wait until what you only have is their 'afterglow' - your memories of them, some good, some bad, all the little things they do, but all of them telling you one thing.

That you badly miss them. Miss them so bad, it's like there's a wound inside your heart that refuses to heal, even with time.

You just want to hold them one last time.

"I will find my way
I will sacrifice
'Til the blinding day
When I see your eyes"

Guess what?

You can't.

The living can't mix with the dead - there's nothing we can do but live on. We, just have to come to grips with it - to make our peace.

And say goodbye, or rather, till we meet again. Someday.

"It's you who is closest."